The CWU brought its #ClosetheGap campaign to Truro today 08/11/2017
The campaign aims to increase wages for staff employed on agency contracts and close the loophole in the law that is used by employment agencies to deny workers the legal rights they were granted under the UK Agency Worker Regulations 2010. Up to 25% of workers in the call centre in Truro are currently employed by agencies rather than by BT. The lack of permanent contracts, with better pay, terms and conditions, and crucially job security makes it very hard for staff in Cornwall to survive. Jeremy Corbyn has mentioned improving the situation for Agency workers many times. This is something we should definitely push for under the next Labour government.
Aims and objectives of the campaign:
- To ensure that at the very minimum our Manpower members working on the BT account are paid the Real Living Wage.
- To eradicate Pay Between Assignment (PBA) contracts.
- Expose the low pay rates of our Manpower members as a consequence of PBA contracts, and to secure amendments to the UK Agency Worker Regulations 2010 (AWR) to close current loopholes that enable hirers and employment agencies to use PBA contracts and exploit agency workers.
- Continue to pressurise the hirer (BT) and employment agency (Manpower) on the issue of low pay as a consequence of the use of PBA contracts.
- For the Communications Workers Union (CWU) branches to engage in national and local campaigning and to encourage Manpower members to become active.
For more information visit the CWU website.